Re: [MV] [MVlist] Earl, politics and relative beauty........

From: Robert Barber (rbarber41@hotmail.com)
Date: Tue Jan 09 2001 - 11:54:08 PST

I think the ugly American phrase was invented by the French
who resented the US tourists in their mis-matched clothes
and "we saved ya butts" attitudes after WW II during the 50's

Subsequent to that in the 60's and 70's a lot more people have
gone overseas with a more "there to see the sights" mindset vs
the conquering hero attitude and done a lot to change the
prospective..

Course speeking of attitudes, The French still have a "tude"
at anyone not French especally in Paris. And there was a LOT
of carryover of mothers telling their daughters "don't trust the
Yanks" when I was attached to ComsEur in the UK during the 80's..
Young ladies would not even speak to you unless you were "properly"
introduced .. So attidudes and misunderstand is a universal thing
and not just the albertross of we Americans..

                                   Bob B