Re: [MV] Deuce plastic battery boxes-good tip...

From: MVTrucker@aol.com
Date: Wed Jan 10 2001 - 05:54:44 PST

List,
An even cheaper way to replace a rusted out deuce
or 5-ton battery box is to use one out of the arctic kit.
I get them from John, at Midwest Military for about
$50. + shipping. These are insulated boxes sans
handles. They were made to be mounted on the truck's
front fender and have a lid held on by four snap clamps.
I put one in a truck yesterday. Fits perfectly. I left the
lid off but it can be used by cutting holes in the back of
the box for the wires to enter. Since they do not have the
wing nuts that are used to secure the box, I drilled through
the lip on the bottom edge and bolted the box in. This lip
extends far enough so drilling in to the battery support
straps was easy. I prefer the plastic boxes Andy mentioned,
but on a cheap work truck, the arctic box is best for me.
Holes in the box's lip were already present and lined up
with the straps on the truck's battery mount. I used two
3/8" bolts and nuts. These lips might have to be removed
for a 5-ton application. If the lid isn't used, then holes for
water drainage will have to be made in the bottom of the
box.
Joe Young
www.joeyoung.com