XM-211 auto-tranny. Shifts hard. Fixes?

From: JJ&A (w7ls@blarg.net)
Date: Sun Jan 14 2001 - 22:25:00 PST

Ok, after I get the brakes fixed, I want to look into the tranny. It
shifts hard. It doesn't seem to want to go into higher gears. I
understand that the tranny has been a problem on these vehicles. Is
there a common solution, such as new, better components, rebuild,
different trannny, etc?
    If the problem is in the Rube Goldberg fluid brain that determines
when to shift, I'd think there must be a way to bypass that stuff and
force it into whatever gear I want with levers, pressure, or something
like that. Isn't the fundamental job of that fluid brain to just decide
which band to engage? I'd rather do that, myself.

Anyone put a stick shift tranny in these? Is that a tough job? Thanks,
guys. Jim