Re: [MV] 12 volt verse 6 volt

From: ken uhrick (kuhrick@home.com)
Date: Fri Jan 19 2001 - 18:24:42 PST

>14.3v is old school, new cars regularly charge at 15.3v. Fully
>charged (with the charger on)a voltage should be at 16.3v
> >
>Didn't know you could change the laws of chemistry, a lead-acid cell is the
>same regarding voltage be it tiny or submarine size huge, that is, the gas
>point per cell is 2.267V and modern car alternator regulators are very
>precise in their terminal volts because the now common use of zero
>maintenance (gas recombination) lead acid batteries places strict limits on
>charge voltage and therefore the rate of gas produced. Indeed all the
>vehicular lead-acid batteries I've seen for the last n years have warnings
>on them about never to exceed, absolute maximum charge terminal voltage,
>usually 14.5V
>
>I can only imagine you are using 7 cell batteries, non lead-acid types, or
>your meter is totally out of calibration. I would imagine 16.3V will, if
>you're lucky, rapidly pop the integral safety vent valves on a gas
>recombination lead-acid battery of the usual 6 cells or if you're unlucky,
>explode it.
>
>Richard
>Southampton - England
i think on some the voltage looks ho do to voltage drop in the wires
and i know of 1 car the voltage meater on the dash says 16-17
and the battery is seting ware it should be
its over 15 allmost 16 at the term on the alt.

my m886 don't do that
If it did i'd wire the alt. to the battery with a starter cable and the
he*( with the amp meater on the dash