Re: [MV] Dump Truck Info

From: mblair1@home.net
Date: Sun Jan 21 2001 - 09:11:01 PST

"Spunky's Motor Pool" <spunkysmotorpool@yahoo.com> wrote:
> I'm afraid that I must disagree with Jeff regarding
> the lock out hubs being an expensive gimmik. With
> fuel economy doubled on average, a smoother ride, and
> better power, not to mention less wear and tear on the
> front axle parts, it seems like a smart thing to do if
> you're willing to spend some extra money on your
> deuce.

I don't understand how disconnecting the front axles on an air-shift
truck in good operating condition could make that much difference in
mileage. They're just disconnecting the differential and the
free-wheeling driveshaft, and all of that stuff should offer little
enough friction to be easily turned by hand (with the wheels off the
ground, of course). If they're offering enough friction to double the
amount of fuel needed to move the truck, then I humbly suggest that
something's wrong with that truck. When I had my truck up on six
jack-stands, I could easily turn any wheel by hand, and I certainly
wasn't burning 9 gallons of diesel per hour!

--
PGP 2.6.2 public key available from http://www.keyserver.net/
Web page: http://www.qsl.net/ke6myk/