Re: [MV] Deuce Hubs

From: James Wiehe (j.wiehe@sympatico.ca)
Date: Sun Jan 21 2001 - 10:18:22 PST

Mark,
1) Yes the hubs are for the front wheels.
2) I too recall an article about removing the rear axle drive shaft or removing the axle
    shafts and then cutting them in half and re-installing them.
    Yes the truck can get stuck more easily because you are now driving on the forward rear axle only.
    Commercial trucks with dual rear axles have what is called an inter-axle differential that is controlled
    by a switch simmilar to the air shift front axle. You have this switch in either locked ( which is what
    your M35 always is ) or unlocked.
That being said, the forward rear axle is slightly different in configuration than the rear axle for the
housing
for this inter-axle differential. The 2 rear axles on the M35 are inter-changeable. I guess in the grand
scheme of things the army did not want to stock another type of axle and this way kept their costs per
vehicle down. Also one has to remember that these trucks were made for off road use on or in
places where the wheels can slip which compensates for the differences between the 2 rear axles
and the front axle even though they have the same axle ratios .
You did not say weather your tires are scrubbing when you turn a corner, this is reasonably normal
given the close axle spacing on the M35. Going straight ? This is not normal given the fact that you
have sized your tires close as possible.
Just my 2 cents, always open for correction.

Jim Wiehe , VA3JHW
mail to : j.wiehe@sympatico.ca