Re: [MV] Deuce Hubs

From: ken uhrick (kuhrick@home.com)
Date: Sun Jan 21 2001 - 16:37:51 PST

At 09:03 AM 1/21/01 -0800, mblair1@home.net wrote:

>KAYE-RIVERCITY@webtv.net (Geof Kaye) wrote:
> > Don't count on improving your fuel mileage with the hubs.
>
>I'm brashly assuming that these are hubs for the front wheels (please
>correct me if I'm wrong).
>
>Does anybody make good-quality lockable/unlockable hub/axle
>combinations for the middle/rear axles? An article in MV Mag a while
>back stated that disconnecting one set of wheels made the truck drive
>a lot better on pavement, by eliminating drivetrain wind-up. On the
>other hand, I think some folks have said that doing that can make the
>truck get stuck a lot easier, due to the reduced traction. It seems to
>me that having switchable hubs on one of the rear axles might offer
>the best of both worlds.
>
>An air-switchable clutch between the middle/rear axles might be even
>nicer, but I figure that would be much more difficult and expensive to
>make.

a 1956 ih. r190 with a red dimand 450 a 5 and a 3 speed aux.
had a cable operated power devider and that as a city concrete mixer truck
by 1967 thay had tham air operated on the loadstar 5000's
and tham was both 4x6 trucks
the load star's had comings 180-190s
not much better pulling than the old 450 gas ones in my thinking
butt thay buth broke the poer deviders
soo full time mite be better

>I balanced out the tire circumferences on each dual (within 1/4") and
>the average circumference between the two rear axles (within 1/2") as
>well as I could, but my truck still makes visible tire tracks on
>concrete. That suggests to me that the tires are scrubbing, and I have
>a hunch that disconnecting one of the axles might greatly reduce that,
>but I don't want to give up the ability to have all wheels driving
>under less-than-ideal conditions.
>
>Opinions?
my m886 gets better mpg than tham i hope but mite not the ih R190s had
a 30 gal tank and you would be sucking it dry at a trip that was 57
miles each way
and that was back in the days of 30-40 cents a gal on the street
sorry to bug you with this stuff