Re: [MV] Deuce Hubs

From: Recovry4x4@aol.com
Date: Sun Jan 21 2001 - 20:46:06 PST

In a message dated 1/21/01 9:02:51 PM Eastern Standard Time,
jemery@execpc.com writes:

<< Yes, there are a number of companies that would make them. But what is the
 need for having them drilled? I don't see that as necessary. My concern
 with this is that front axle locking hubs always seemed to be a bit on the
 weak side to me. I'd be concerned that they would hold up on a rear axle.
 I'd like to hear some field trials before I'd invest money in any of this.

I couldn't agree more. The hubs would be a weak point in this configuration.
 Especially so for the hard core off roader. For the guy that just streets
his deuce, it would offer an alternative. Although I have done this in other
axle configurations, I would hesitate to do it to mine because when I get off
road, I tend to kill things. As far as a test of hub strength, the original
Bigfoot monster truck had deuce axles in its infancy. As some can recall, It
had steering axles front & rear with lockouts in all positions. It had a
blown 460 and 48" Terra Tires and the hubs held up. Before anybody flames me
about it having deuce axles, remember I'm talking circa 1980/1981.

Kenneth Engle
Loxahatchee, FL
Reo M-275 tractor
Recovry4x4@aol.com