Re: [MV] Deuce Hubs

From: jonathon (jemery@execpc.com)
Date: Mon Jan 22 2001 - 06:29:18 PST

>Shouldn't add additional wear. everything will still be moving, it will just
>add the necessary differentian.

No, not everything will be moving. If you disconnect one axle shaft then
the only thing moving will be the side gears and spiders. Since the carrier
will not be turning there will be no oil thrown around and so I suspect
that's what he was refering to about additional wear, simply that they will
not get fresh oil any more.

> If it were a front axle that had one hub
>locked and the carrier wasn't turning it would certainly cause the spiders to
>be overworked. If you removed one rear axle and the jack shaft between diffs
>it would overwork the spiders.

No, they are not worked at all, the just would not get lubricated.

> Someone did point out that the spiders might
>spin out off the differential running without axles. This is a possibility..

How are they going to spin off, or come off, or fall out?

je