Re: [MV] removing rear axle shafts

From: Richard C. Burrell (miltrkr@concentric.net)
Date: Sun Jan 21 2001 - 21:03:29 PST

> I would agree with this if the jack shaft between the axles was removed. If
> the jack shaft was in place then both differentials will be spinning the same
> speed. All the rear tires will be spinning close to the same speed, therefore
> the spiders will only be turning (differentiating) at the speed necessary to
> allow the front and rear tires to spin at slightly different speed.

no this is wrong also spider/side gears allow for different shaft speeds side to
side as in same axle. they have nothing to do with front to rear differentials.
they turn when the two axle shafts turn at different speeds i.e.. turns and spin
outs. If you were to pull both axle shafts the spiders/side gears do nothing, they
will not turn as they are now disconnected from use. if you leave the driveline
hooked up (with shafts out) all you do is turn the the ring and pinion gears
lubricating everything, no harm in that
Richard Burrell
MVPA #20227
MVCC