Re: [MV] Deuces and hubs

From: Richard Notton (Richard@fv623.demon.co.uk)
Date: Tue Jan 23 2001 - 14:56:49 PST

----- Original Message -----
From: <mblair1@home.net>
Sent: Tuesday, January 23, 2001 7:08 AM
Subject: Re: [MV] Deuces and hubs

> Now, as long as we're on the topic of scrubbing tires and wound-up
> driveshafts, what do y'all think about driving Stalwarts on your
> average US pavement?

About as much as driving it on UK pavement. A commonly repeated topic on
the egroups Stolly list. Sure the wind-up is fearsome and likely seriously
foreshortens bevel box life as the tyres are the only torque limiters, it
could also account for the prodigious thirst of the RR B81.

A sharp turn at slow speed on tarmac necessitating a grab for one gear less
will have it stop as if you stomped on the brakes while the clutch is out
and on hot days the trail of scuffed tarmac is evident.

To be fair it is actually an off-road vehicle that can go on-road if needed,
all the 600 series chassis have the problem but with the 14.00 tyres rather
than the 12.00 on others it does have to work a lot harder.

>Stalwart enthusiasts whom I've heard from seem to
> feel that it's not a problem; you just drive over the curb every few
> miles.

This is an old chestnut too, in actual fact the REME BAOR Driver's Notes
require an unwind by kerbing or a touch of loose going every 30km unless the
route is twisty which suggests you just can't avoid it. They also required
a load of 3 tons (track links) for "fast" and straight road use to load the
suspension and straighten the tracta joint angles, this further exacerbates
the wind-up loads.

It seems a bit pointless as the tyre matching spec is 2" max circumference
from front to back at a test pressure of 30psi (a nominal new 14.00 x 20
NDCC is 12' 8" around) with the smallest at the rear, now with such a
discrepancy they are surely wound up within the first couple of revs let
alone 30kms.

Road going tyre wear is also horrendous and 14.00 x 20 NDCCs are very scarce
too, such are the joys of a FV620/622/623/624 to say nothing of the 18 galls
(US) of gear oil, 18 galls (US) of hydraulic oil and 9.6 galls (US) of SAE
30 to MIL 2104D in the engine and gearbox most of which leaks owing to the
propensity of oil "seals".

Richard
Southampton - England
STAL II/681