Re: [MV] Electrical Upgrade parts for M274 Mule

From: Keith Byrd (byrdhouse@netease.net)
Date: Tue Jan 23 2001 - 21:46:00 PST

>Also, does anyone know if there is a
> technical
> manual which covers this upgrade installation and lists the parts
> required? I have the usual M274 manuals and don't see any reference to
> this modification.

John and list,

As far as I know no manuals exist on the upgrade kits for the M274. I've
never seen one, but of course that don't mean they don't exist. If anyone
has one I'd sure like to see a copy.
My dad was working for 101 ABN, Division Maint. at the time the upgrades
(modification work order) were done. He was working in the weapons shop, but
remembers what was going on in the motor pool. He says that he believes that
most of the work was done "in house", so most of the paperwork is long since
gone. He can confirm that the MWO was done to make the M274 a better
platform for the TOW system. His shop worked directly on the TOW, but not on
the mules.
At the same time, the 82 ABN were upgrading their mules. I recently restored
a upgraded A4 that came from 2/504, 82 ABN. Since the 101 & 82 are both
under 18th ABN Corps ,maybe the order came from them, instead of from TACOM.
If the MWO was something the command decided they needed, a upgrade manual
was probably never printed.
One of the things I've never seen or been able to confirm was: Did the USMC
upgrade any of their mules? I've never seen one that came from USMC with
upgrade parts present or ever talked to any marines that remembers any that
were upgraded. Can anyone shed any light on this?
As far as the box that attaches to the steering column, it's just a simple
metal box. I can send measurements and pictures.
Hope this helps,
Keith