Re: [MV] Fw: [MV] Electrical Upgrade parts for M274 Mule

From: jonathon (jemery@execpc.com)
Date: Wed Jan 24 2001 - 19:51:26 PST

>You are correct sir! A starter isn't something you could just whip up in a
>few hours. But it could have been a contracted item, even done on a division
>level.Did anything else in inventory use the Prestolite starter?

No. The generators that use the same basic engine us a totally different
setup. One thing to remember is that the starter on the mule is done the
same way as the M151, the starter sticks out the back and turns reversed
from normal automotive starters. The genset starter is of the normal
automotive type configuration. The genset motor cannot be made to run
backwards (well, electrically it can but the bendix would not work). The
original Prestolite MGL-4015 is based on a common civy motor, that being the
MGL series, but the 4015 was a unique application with an offset end housing
which was actually a machined aluminum casting. The reason for the offset
is that the pull starter gear is 22 teeth and is centered in the opening.
None of these little electric starters had gears that large. The MGL-4015
has a 14 tooth gear which is about as large as I have seen listed in any of
the books for small starters. Thus you must offset the center line of the
motor shaft inward from what the pull starter was to get the teeth to mesh.
Also the motor and drive mechanism must be designed for the reversed
rotation, actually CCW.

The other curious thing is, why would they not have gone with 24V? Again,
just like using the 14 tooth gear because that's what was available, they
may not have had a 24V motor designed, so to save costs, go with what they
already have designed and have made before, kind of a kit bash approach.

je