Re: [MV] M274 Electric Start

From: Keith Byrd (byrdhouse@netease.net)
Date: Thu Jan 25 2001 - 07:53:10 PST

> Well this is perplexing. I thought the 4 cylinder motor used the same
basic
> starter but required an adapter plate (1/2" thick). How does the starter
> mechanism work on the 4 cylinder engines then?????
>
> je

The 4 cycl. engine(Willys AO-4-53) found on the early mules used a spring
loaded, ratcheted rope pulley located behind the flywheel (between the
flywheel and the engine,clutch on other side of flywheel). A slotted ring
was riveted to the inside of the flywheel for the ratcheted rope pulley to
catch, eliminating the need for a ring gear on the flywheel. The cable for
pull start was wound around the rope pulley. All this can be seen in TM
9-7101-35, page 55-58.
Just like the 2AO-42 engine, no TM shows any provision for the electric
starter. The small round plate on the flywheel housing (where the starter
would be on the 2AO-42) is called the flywheel housing plate, but the TM
don't mention what it is for. Since this was the mil-std engine of it's time
(late 50's), what other equipment was it used on? What went in this hole?
Please, can someone tell us?
I love this list!!!
Keith