Re: [MV] newby considering an M35

From: Andy Michalski (amichalski@earthlink.net)
Date: Tue Jan 30 2001 - 15:16:02 PST

Here is my experience buying 2 M35A2's over the course of last year. My
first truck (never had something this big) I bought from the local DRMO for
$1753. To get it home I hauled over two batteries and a bucket of tools to
the DRMO, and got it running just by installing the batteries and drove it
home some 25 miles. The next truck I got was farther away, so I was very
selective on what I bid on. This truck actually started and ran at the DRMO
(no driving allowed, but they cant hear what you are doing 500 feet from the
nearest building). It seemed like a real nice truck that could use a fresh
set of tires under it. After winning the truck with a bid of $1553, I
proceed to drive that one home 280 miles. One of the tires in the back had
a balance problem, so it got kind of bouncy, but it was an uneventful trip
otherwise. I got a replacement set of 95%-New tires mounted on wheels also
from that place along the interstate by St. Joseph MI as other listers did
as well, $45.00 each. Shipping wasnt too much of a problem, spent a day in
the first deuce making the trip over there to pick them up.

In IL, I register them as antique vehicles, so the plates are really cheap,
$28.00 for 4 years! Compare that to the $78 a year this state wants for a
normal passenger car, and you might just buy one to save $$$ :) Insurance
through State Farm in a metro suburban area 100/300 liability is $180 for 6
months. Since I dont have anywhere to park it at home without pissing off
the neighbors or the law, I have to pay $53.00 a month to a u-store-it lot
to park it. All in all, not too expensive to have something this neat,
these trucks get more looks than a Vette, at a fraction of the price :)

I guess the moral of this story is pick a good one, check everything, and
try not to bid on trucks that are missing stuff, there might be a reason
that they are using them for parts. Try to buy the stuff that is
"obsoleted", not "cannabalized" and you will be as lucky as I was to get
some real nice trucks for cheap. You should note that some areas of the
country seem to have better trucks, and some areas you might be very lucky
to find a M35 at all that still looks like one. You see, some forestry
departments, etc. in the area will be taking these trucks on a transfer from
the military, while in other areas, no one wants them so the real nice
trucks make it to public sale. Also, check what the bidding results are for
the area you are in, some areas the winning bids may be somewhat higher than
the cheap (IMHO) midwestern area I am fortunate to be in. Good luck!

My M35....
http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/Highway/3969/M35A2.html
My first M35....
http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/Highway/3969/Deuceforsale.html