Re: [MV] Question? M35/M211 One Each.

From: DDoyle9570@aol.com
Date: Mon Feb 05 2001 - 18:41:31 PST

In a message dated 2/5/01 12:09:43 PM Central Standard Time,
hint@northnet.org writes:

<< What is the suspension difference between the dump vs the cargo version
 of the M35?
 Can the M35 cargo suspension be upgraded to the dump version?

 Lets assume that I simply cannot find a dump and I do not want
 to destroy a good cargo truck.

Ted,
There are no less than three dump formats of the G-742 series; the M47, M59,
and M342. Add to this the various engine versions and it gets even messier.
An upcoming article in Army Motors attempts to clarify this.
The dump truck spring is a 12 leaf assembly (part number G742-7368629), the
cargo truck a ten leaf. (Wrecker has an eight leaf, but also has a solid beam
to limit travel and absorb lifting load)
Examining the breakdown of the spring assemblies as shown in ORD 9 SNL G-742,
January 1955, shows that they are completely different springs, not just
additional leaves added to the spring pack. Rather each leaf is different
between the two assemblies.

On the G-749 tranny question, I think problem is mostly abuse, both operator
and PM.

Hope this helps,
David Doyle