Land Rover Series One

From: Anith@wfp.org
Date: Sat Feb 10 2001 - 00:03:36 PST

I would like to find out the history of my late 1953 Series One (86" wheel
base) Land Rover. I am the third owner. The second owner says that he
bought it from the Indian Army in early 60s. The vehicle documents do not
have any mention of the military connections. Is there any sign that I can
look for in the vehicle that could confirm that it was used by the army.
There are no signs of any weapon mounting structures/fittings of the past.
It has the usual two spare tyres-one on the bonnet (hood) and the other
behind the center seat. I have scraped the paint but did not find olive
drab or camouflage paint underneath. It has layers of bottle green paint.

Did Rover make any different model for the military use in early 50's
before introducing the Lightweight for the military?
Englishmen, please help.

Thanks

Anith

Sudan