Re: [MV] M49 fuel tanker question--CDL

From: Bryan Rupp (ruppster@alaskalife.net)
Date: Mon Feb 12 2001 - 16:44:47 PST

 It all depends on what state you are in. While federal law doesn't require a CDL if the vehicle is
not used to make money each state can say otherwise. The last time I looked in to Florida law they
went by the federal requirements and a CDL wasn't needed but up here in Alaska if the GVWR, not the
weight of the truck empty, exceeds 26,000 pounds then you have to have one, regardless if it's got
antique tags or regular and whether you plan to haul anything or not. Alaska, along with several
other states, consider anything over 26,000 pounds to be a commercial vehicle, even if it's used
only for personal use, and therefor a CDL is a must, unless it's an RV. So its best to find out what
the rules are for the state you are in directly. Don't rely on second hand info as it might be
wrong. I have researched several states just by using Looksmart.com and searching by entering in the
name of the state followed by "DMV". Awhile back another list member posted a URL for CDL info right
from the FHWA site but it no longer works. It listed what the federal requirements were but did not
include state info.

Bryan