RE: [MV] M49 fuel tanker question--CDL

From: Joe Garrett (garrett@aa.net)
Date: Mon Feb 12 2001 - 20:09:42 PST

This is a nit, but an important one:

If you are going to carry liquids in your tanker, make sure it is full! Two
six hundred gallon tanks that are each half full can become an VERY unstable
load in a quick maneuver or a panic stop. Commercial tankers have baffles
to keep the loads from shifting on freeways. Military trucks and trailers
do not.

I learned this when moving water in my water buffalo, a 400 gallon trailer
with absolutely NO baffles. It's well mannered when full, but an ugly load
when only half full.

Joe Garrett
cell 206-228-6846