Re: [MV] [MVlist] To CDL or not to CDL that is the question

From: Everett Doyle (194cbteng@pchnet.com)
Date: Thu Feb 15 2001 - 02:49:59 PST

Bill you wrote that best thing to do is get CDL's

Bill there is one thing you have not considered -- your vehicle will have to
pass inspection before you can take the driving part of the test -- Lights,
brakes, fire ext., windshield wipers, emission controls, turn signals, seat
belts and many other things.

I have a truck that has all the features that it is supposed to have and
everything works -- my best estimate even with this was 3500.00 to get truck
where it MIGHT pass inspection. Biggest thing with this truck is brakes --
as military had it built - is full air brake system -- when the truck has no
air it has no brakes, air is used to apply brakes -- standard commercial
trucks air is used to relieve spring pressure that actually applies brakes.
A commercial truck that has no air will not move, brakes are locked -- this
truck of mine if it has no air will roll, and that is one of the things that
stops it from passing inspection, and there are other things that military
trucks do not have that commercial trucks are required to have.

Tennessee takes the position that if I am driving the truck and not getting
paid for it, I am not getting paid to haul any cargo --not even a cup of
given to me from my neighbor to haul him a load of wood.-- That what I have
is a recreational vehicle and recreational vehicles -motor homes etc- do not
require CDL's Commercial Drives License