Re: [MV] M1 Carbine

From: Jon Shoop (shoop19@brick.net)
Date: Fri Feb 16 2001 - 08:13:43 PST

Bob,

I don't know how many displays you do.......but as a guy who likes to
display and play..as a M5 Stuart Commander...with a live 37mm and 3-.30
MGs...with live M3A1 AT gun and lots of other pieces of US
History...Papered, Legal.......as well as other well armed mvs...I can't
remember one instance of intimidating anyone!

Having run a WWII convoy down city streets with weapons bristling....all I
saw were enthusiastic crowds waving and shouting..........Loving it! Never
have I heard the word "Militia" or "are these guns real"...never! Memorial
Day, July 4th, Veterans Day....Sunday runs to the winery........for
lunch......Never! Always a crowd gathers and everyone enjoys it.

I think most if not all people know we are driving WWII and other post war
vehicles...and think its pretty cool...not wondering if they are going to
be shot!

I have done custom car shows as well..and EVERYONE brings the Coolest stuff
they have ...and thats the time to do it...My stuff is in a "special
Interest" category.....All I ever hear is "Ohhhhsss and
ahaassss"......."How interesting"....wow, can I have a ride?

I don't know where you live..but it kinda sounds scary..........I don't
want to have to hide my hobby.......Its counter productive...and how do you
know if its a live or dummy weapon???? from 20 feet...if its a good
one..like the M2s that Terry Spencer makes.......the finest around......do
you put big orange barrels on them or possibly aircraft type safety flags
on them?

If people don't understand...they never will..remember there are plenty of
people out there that don't want you to have a custom, gas guzzling, air
polluting camaro much less a M3 Scout car.......so.....don't worry about
it..........

I also get requests from the Army locally...to put up Weapons displays...at
public functions...they love to show off the vintage weapons long gone from
their inventories...Thompson MG...M3A1 Grease Gun...M60 MG.....M1D Sniper
Garand.....M79 Grenade Launcher....they love it..and so does everyone who
sees them and handles them....

I once was asked to bring a M2HB and tripod to Jefferson Barracks...for a
celebration commemorating a battle in Italy in WWII.........the base
Commander looked at it and commented it looked pretty real...when he
discovered it was...he shook my hand and thanked me for preserving history
by keeping such a fine weapon live...and operable....he was amazed!.

As far as keeping my guns...you bet.....I will......I am a pretty
conservative guy...and know what my rights are. I do not trespass nor do I
discriminate...I just want to be free to do as I please...and I do!

Good luck...because it sounds like you have to be too careful to pursue you
hobby where you live.....

 I respect your opinion.....but thank God that "concerned attitude" has not
been a problem here......

Jon......In St Louis