Re: [MV] CCKW Lockout hubs

From: Jeanne Lacourse (cckw@mediaone.net)
Date: Fri Feb 16 2001 - 12:20:44 PST

On the ends of the front axle, the hub of the wheel/brake drum has a flange
with eight bolts. If you remove these bolts, you can pull off the drive
flange. This has an internal 10 slot spline that engages the short end of
the front axleshaft. If you make a cover to replace it without the splines
(make sure you clear the end of the axle) just to keep the dirt out, you
will do the same as removing the driveshaft and it is a lot easier to revert
back should you need to do so quickly. The cover can be, steel, alu, plastic
or wood.

I have done this on my WW2 GM trucks for about 10 years now. The number of
times you normally need AWD is usually quite low. It takes about 10 minutes
to change them.

Steve AKA Dr Deuce