RE: [MV] M1 Carbine

From: Kelly, Robert (Robert_Kelly@FCEINC.COM)
Date: Fri Feb 16 2001 - 13:26:02 PST

I'm afraid that most folks took offense to what I was trying to get across.
They basically took my views to mean that you shouldn't show weapons that
rightly belong on your vehicle. That isn't what I'm saying at all. I think
you should, but I think it should be done if it fits the situation. You
wouldn't wear a tuxedo to a barbeque, right?

I love my guns, they got me interested in a vehicle to put them in.

Unfortunately, and this is not true everywhere, it doesn't take much to rub
some people the wrong way. The wrong impression goes much further than a
good one.

For instance, bringing your guns to a public display that is oriented around
WWII (or whatever period your vehicle fits into), or a veterans association
or whatever is just about required. But why not disable it in some
unobstrusive way? Its safer and its still a "real" gun, not something that
even the government believes can not be be made to fire. Except for the
cost, I would LOVE to put a live .50 on my jeep. Even a dummy is cost
prohibitive.

Now if you go to a public show in which people are coming to see civilian
vehicular beauties, it might be nice to suprise them with your green truck,
but some folks get offended by weapons in general and truely have an
aversion to them. It MAY not be appropriate to bring your guns to this kind
of venue. It can be like bringing your Bible to a peep show.

Now, this can be left open to discussion, but in your area, it may be
comletely acceptable to drive around with your weapons mounted and so forth.
Nobody minds and they cheer you on. Good for you. Somehow though, I can't
believe it is legal to have a fully operational .50 mounted on your jeep
while you ride around town. Please check your local ordinances.

Not so here. I would get pulled over by the Cuyahoga County Sheriff,
Cleveland Police or the State Patrol. God help me if I was near a school.

Anyways, just use common sense appropriate to your area. Please put the best
foot forward for the MV hobby. Keep us on the radar screen in a POSITIVE
way.

Mainly, my point is safety. Bring your real guns when appropriate. Just
disable them temporarily. Remove the firing pin, or get a second bolt that
has a shortened firing pin (I did this on my M1903A3).

Sorry if I rubbed some of you the wrong way.

Thanks,

Bob K.