M49 Replies-- Thanks

From: Ron (rojoha@mediaone.net)
Date: Sat Feb 17 2001 - 23:40:44 PST

My thanks to all who replied to my post on the M49A2C and if it would
require a CDL if used for water at MV events. It is now moot since I did not
have high bid.
    That said, a couple of thoughts on some of the comments.
    One person asked why I didn't specify which state I was in. I left out
the state because I wished to see the replies from across the country, since
this vehicle would be used to visit activities on mainly the east coast now,
but in the future, who knows where.
    Several said "Just get a CDL- it's a no brainer and would make you a
better driver" or words to that effect. Unfortunately, that is not possible
in my case. I had what was a Class 2 (anything up to a tractor trailer) with
a school bus endorsement for 14 years in the state of Taxachusetts. I drove
6 and 10 wheel dumps for a landscaper, wreckers, school busses and a home
heating oil truck. I then got a job as a blue collar worker making
considerably more than I was making driving. During this time I joined the
Civil Air Patrol, got a US Govt. Motor Vehicle Operators ID card ( with
Flight Line Endorsement ) and over the next 9 years was certified to drive
13 different vehicles,including an M44A2 based Fire Truck and an M923A2. The
M series vehicles came out of the Reserve Component Support units when we
were on bases for encampments or supporting air shows. When the CDL came on
the scene, I looked into it but because I had developed type 1 Diabetes in
the intervening years, it was dead on arrival. Hence the second reason for
how the constabulary forces would look at an M49 tanker cruising the roads
on antique plates, empty or hauling 600 gallons of water.
    In regards to "Just looking up the info on your states motor vehicle
page". This states RMV web page is a royal pain to navigate, forget the
"High Technology Highway" feel good name hung on our little section of I-95.
And don't forget how clearly they explained how much it would cost for the
"Big Dig".
    But I digress. Thanks again for the input from all. Now we'll get back
to tracking down a nice M35A2. (Can ya help me, Mr. Adams? Looks like ya
have a couple to move. Wink, wink, nudge, nudge, don't ya know....)

Regards, Ron