Re: [MV] M1 Carbine

From: Jon Shoop (shoop19@brick.net)
Date: Sun Feb 18 2001 - 06:44:43 PST

Yes........Most AA guns are full auto..and as such come under regs of the
NFA and are controlled by the BATF. Remocal of the breech is common as well
as cutting a hole in the barrel of a size equal to that of the bore.

As far as the ATF, It does sound like overkill on their part. They could
have allowed the owner of the gun to demil it....the regs are veryspecific
about this. It would have saved the expense of the gunsmith. I regularly
demil machineguns and send a written notice to them of the demil. I also
keep the demil parts here to allow a ATF agent to view them to confirm the
destruction.

A vintage gun like this would have remained unmolested had a museum
imported it.

Jon