RE: [MV] firearms on vehicles

From: Rayfield, Robert S Jr Mr DUSA-IA/ANTEON (RayfieldRS@hqda.army.mil)
Date: Mon Feb 19 2001 - 07:29:54 PST

Okay, my two bits:

People complain because they think they can get away with it, and they think
they can exercise their self-ritcheous indignation just because it is
politically correct to be anti-gun in some quarters.

Personally, I'm glad you spent the $1000 on the M2 to add some degree of
realism for your milveh, and I am sure that alot of other spectators are
glad they got to "experience" not just the sight of a M2 .50 cal BMG but
also the sound of one being "fired." The majority of Americans may have
seen a picture of "a" machine gun in a history book, and if they are
familiar with them at all, it is because the saw SAVING PVT RYAN. They
appreciate the extra margin of reality even if it is not projecting the will
of the commander on the battlefield with hot lead.

Do not worry about the indignant and disgruntled - they comprise the vocal
5%, the other 95% are the appreciative silent majority. With the decay of
America continuing with the children of today only knowing that there was a
World War I and II, and some have "heard" of Korea and Vietnam and do not
realize there was a war there, and do not know anything about any of it,
sights and experiences provided by people like you engage them, and others
who grew up ignorant as well, to ask "What is that?" "What was it used for?"
and finally "Where was it used?" Presto - you have a history lesson and can
then engage their little empty melons on
W H Y we went there which is the most important question of all.

Maybe the sight of your propane-operated M2 .50 cal BMG will engage them to
learn, as will the fully operational U.S. Carbine, 30cal, M1 in its holster
on a restored M38 or other milveh. These incidents will invoke questions
and learning instead of just memories of "M*A*S*H*" or bright yellow CJ's
with surfboards attached driving thru the surf on a California or Florida
beach - or the ire of the indignant few. Keep up the good work.

Stew Rayfield
Maj USMC (Ret)