Re: [MV] All legal questions

From: Peter Silfven (ttpete@gatecom.com)
Date: Mon Feb 19 2001 - 14:43:30 PST

Amen to that, brother!
There are several things to remember when dealing with law enforcement people:

1. Most of them are NOT firearms experts. They know just enough to qualify
when they need to. I have had some interesting experiences at the local cop
shop when registering short guns. (Had to show them how to clear a .45 auto)

2. Most of them are NOT experts in firearms law. They know the law as it
applies to common crimes, but lack knowledge of some technical points relating
to the law.

3. Most of them are suspicious of anything they lack knowledge of. You WILL be
detained until a supervisor can straighten them out.

4. Corollary to #3. If YOU try to enlighten them on the law, you are
threatening them and you will be regarded as a smart-a__.

5. The bigger the community, the more the above statements are true. Know your
local laws and retain a good attorney who is knowledgeable in firearms law.