Re: [MV] Stripping Cadmium plating

From: J. Forster (jfor@onemain.com)
Date: Tue Feb 20 2001 - 23:22:29 PST

jonathon wrote:

> >Based on a web search some weeks ago, a better way to strip Cadmium plating
> >in a solution of Ammonium Nitrate. This chemical will not attack the base metal,
> but
> >just removes the Cadmium.
>
> I would be willing to bet a large sum of money that those nuts are NOT cad
> plated. Cadmium plating is very un common anymore.

Possibly. They were labeled Cad in the hardware store. They could have been
galvanized (zinc coated). The Ammonium Nitrate sure pulled the plating off, even at
room temperature, and quickly too, but did not attack the steel itself.

> The yellow plating that you see commonly now is zinc dichromate also called yellow
> zinc.

The parts I stripped were clearly not chromated, but were shiny metal.

> As to ammonium nitrate, don't tell the ATF, that's there is bomb making materials
> boy!

If that be so, they shoutd talk to Walgreens or Rite Aid.

-J