RE: [MV] [MVlist] RE: [MV] M1 Carbine and HR 4205, Section 361 & freedom in general

From: Joe Garrett (garrett@aa.net)
Date: Wed Feb 21 2001 - 09:06:39 PST

In view of the comment about foreign regimes, I have to jump in here.

I was born in a country where you could buy a rifle through the mail. You
could carry that rifle anywhere you cared to go and noboby would give it a
second thought. You could carry a pistol openly in a holster, but you could
not carry it concealed without a permit. There was no agency anywhere to
keep track of how many weapons you bought or sold, and we were truly free.
In that country our overall tax rate was less than 20% and the government
had a very small role in our lives. Politicians had to be honest, married
(no divorces, either) and forthright to get elected.

The public schools were run by the local community, not the central
government and not the teachers union. That country had never been beaten
in a war, and everyone was proud to be a citizen of that country.
Unfortunately, that nation no longer exists. When people make fun of those
of us who value our rights as citizens, I get very upset; I have pity on
those ignorant souls who don't understand what has happened in just one
generation.

Yes, I know this is off subject; sorry!

Joe Garrett