duece/diesel related questions

From: The Caffreys (joc@swcp.com)
Date: Mon Feb 26 2001 - 19:43:17 PST

Hello, I have a couple of questions that some of you might be able to help
with.

1. Cavitation: I thought all diesels were sensitive to cavitation and most
heavy service units used a coolant additive via pellets in a 'filter'. My
ford and my fathers dodge take an additive in the coolant, test kits etc.
There are 2 questions, what exactly is the cavitation process, and what do
the mil veh do about the issue? I haven't seen any filter schemes. From
what i have heard, it seems to me that somehow the coolant becomes acidic
and attacks the engine block, eventually destroying it. dielectric
corrosion may be contributing as well as the sulphuric acid created by
diesel combustion, but i can't work out sulphuric acid would make it into
the coolant?

2. Turbo: Most turbo units i am familiar with use an intercooler to prevent
the Head from overheating. On the LDT465 I don't see an intercooler, nor a
pyrometer for operator management (eg its getting hot, back off), is this
an issue with the LDT?

3. Does anyone know anything about the hercules turbo multifuel? It seems
visually identical to the LDT465, but doesn't have those markings on the
engine plate, is there anything unique i should know about these?

4. Whats the difference between an M109A2 and the A3? are there any special
considerations for removing the shelter and putting on a flatbed from a
duece? (besides that some purists might be horrified)

Many thanks everyone!
Michael
Michael and Josephine Caffrey,
358 Garver Lane