Hitting The Wall / '39 Ford CA N.G. Panel Conversion

From: Carol Kenyon (Da-Kenyons@webtv.net)
Date: Tue Feb 27 2001 - 08:19:47 PST

Hello, everyone! Here's the quick update:
My poor old panel was originally owned by the
115th Quartermaster Regiment, 40th Div., CA National Guard. Just after
Pearl Harbor the 115th QM Regt was broken up into smaller units. The
CONVERSION (utility cabinets built
into the panel sides, opening to the OUTSIDE)
was most likely built by N.G. themslves. They had rolling machine.
parts, and welding shops.
My panel conversion appears to have been "stick-welded". The steel for
the conversion came from good ol' Union Hardware and Metal
Company, Los Angeles,CAL.
  I have a couple of requests for this very wonderful group. 1) Does
anyone know a REALLY INTERESTED individual within the CA
N.G. who can help me? I'm afraid I've just about worn out my welcome
with History Officer
CSM Dan Sebby, Generals Delk and Hamilton,
etc. I desperately need to gain entry into the
Camp SLO Museum. Evidently it's been closed for some time!
2) As I said before, this vehicle came to me with some small artifacts
inside. Can anyone tell me if the part number 122876 jives with
anything Mil-Veh? My panel came with three of
these rolling around deep inside one of the internal spaces. It's made
of steel, it resembles a bolt, it's about 7" long. The thread appears
to be one-half-inch coarse. The "head" of the bolt
is drilled with a three-eighths-inch coarse tapped hole in the center.
If you have the Ford
GPW Manual, these "bolts" greatly resemble the "J-1753-3" tools in one
of the repair kits.
If these things turn out to be mil-veh related, it would help my
assumption that my panel was
used by the N.G. as a mobile repair or contact
truck.
3) Another long shot is a grease cup I found in
a deep recess of the beast. I know that grease
cups are somewhat common. This one is obviously old, has one-eighth
inch pipe thread,
and has a "wing-nut" type protrusion on the top.
I've seen grease cups on old distributors, without the "wing".
4) Anybody know a true mil-veh guy inside the California Department of
Transportation (Caltrans)? My poor old panel's second or third life was
with the San Francisco-Oakland Bay Bridge as a maint. vehicle. Caltrans
has an archive, but they seem to be guarding it against
"intruders". They don't know me!
5), Does anyone own a "square" T.O.& E. for the 40th Division, circa
WWII? California
Military Museum has the "triangular" one.
6) Finally, can anyone tell me the web address for the "WW-II" list ?
I'm currently on the "WW-I"
list and need to switch over.
  You guys are great!! Thanks, Don Kenyon