Re: [MV] Pleading Ignorance

From: Randy Orpe (sgtorpe@sierratel.com)
Date: Wed Feb 28 2001 - 19:42:37 PST

Shifting the transfer case into neutral separates the transmission and the
lower shafts which go to the axles. A sprague works somewhat like a ratchet
mechanism that engages when the rear drive slippage exceeds about 8 to 10
percent of the front drive RPM. So, the front wheels turn when being towed.
The exception is the M35s with the air shift front axle engagement ( that
little lever switch that hangs under the center of the dash ). The front
drive is either in or out.
A problem with the sprague drive when operating downhill in the snow or ice
is that the front and rears are mostly turning at the same RPM and so the
front axle disengages. You have to rap the throttle to spin the rears to
lock it in again so that it will pull you around the corners.

Randy