Re: [MV] Pleading Ignorance

From: jonathon (jemery@execpc.com)
Date: Thu Mar 01 2001 - 07:46:52 PST

>I cant comment on the damage to the system itself from "just towing" because
>I don't yet understand it well enough.
>However, consider the physics of it, the distance around an M35 tire is
>something around 10' this works out to 8 Revolutions Per Second(RPS)at 60
>mph, and I'm guessing the weight in the tire/wheel will be over 200lbs.
>If I'm doing the math right the math right this works out to 200lbs moving
>at 88 Feet Per Second (keep in mind, i'm just guessing, if you want to do
>the math for real I would be interested in the real #s).

That's not exactly how you determine rotational inertia or energy. Seems to
me it's kind of irrelivant, what kind of forces are on the system when the
tires are on the ground and your clawing your way thru the mud? I mean, this
is a 23,500# gvw truck here, I find it hard to beleive that your going to
break something in a free wheel situation that easily. Unless, UNLESS, it's
a lubrication issue for example????

>2 things will happen if you "clip" something,
>1.Based on weight the object you clip will move / take damage, less weight
>means more motion / more weight means (car) more damage (something has to
>move).
>2. In the (Sprague) system it self the sudden change in force at the point
>of "clip" will tend to cause shearing and fracture,

I'm not following this to well, sprague, or overrunning clutches, can
trasmit a lot of rotational force (torque), why else would they use them?
You have these same types of devices in your average automatic tranny. Now
think of the abuse some people give thier trannies and you don't often hear
about these devices failing do you?

>And, what happens within the system if the front wheels move substantially
>faster than the rear (like a flywheel)?

It's an overunning clutch, so nothing should happen.

>If you cut the speed in 1/2, your only dealing with 200lbs+ at 44fps.

What are you talking about though? If your talking about kinetic energy
then it's related to the square of the velocity.

I guess until some "expert" comes along that knows this system inside out,
then were all just flapping our gums here and going nowhere.

later,

je