RE: [MV] Pleading Ignorance

From: Rikk Rogers (rkltd@swbell.net)
Date: Thu Mar 01 2001 - 08:41:44 PST

With the rear wheels moving the effect to the system would be the same as if
you hopped from fwd to rev and popped the clutch.
Also, the over-running clutch is meant to work at a speed close to the speed
of the rear tires, if the brakes of the towed truck were not connected, the
front wheels would freewheel when the rear wheels are stopped.

I think the issue is that the force is designed to go thru the system in one
direction, in driving as designed you would seldom if ever have a situation
where you feed force back into the system unevenly, (10 wheel lockup would
affect all three axles evenly).
If you do create a situation where the force feed into the system is 10
times greater than "normal" and in reverse (back wheels stopped and front
freewheeling at 30mph).
What is the net effect on the Sprague?

And, here's one for you, if it is a lubrication issue, and nothing else
applies, would putting the trans in neutral and the Xfer in gear fix it?

Rikk Rogers - RK Lion LTD.
(580)762-3157 rkltd@swbell.net
http://home.swbell.net/rkltd/
-M35A2- MVPA -22345-

*That's not exactly how you determine rotational inertia or energy. Seems
*me it's kind of irrelivant, what kind of forces are on the system when the
*tires are on the ground and your clawing your way thru the mud? I mean,
this
*is a 23,500# gvw truck here, I find it hard to beleive that your going to
*break something in a free wheel situation that easily. Unless, UNLESS, it's
*a lubrication issue for example????