Re: [MV] Engine problem - ideas?

From: chance wolf (timberwolf@wheeldog.net)
Date: Sat Mar 03 2001 - 10:03:58 PST

----- Original Message -----
From: "Jeanne Lacourse" <cckw@mediaone.net>
Sent: Saturday, March 03, 2001 5:43 AM
Subject: Re: [MV] Engine problem - ideas?

> Or possibly the water pump shaft going back and forth. Check the thrust
> washer and its adjustment on the front of the engine. If the shaft was
foing
> back and forth, it would advance-retard the timing.

First thing that went through my mind when I read the original 'miss' post
was that I had a similar thing in my M151, namely, a miss at idle that would
smooth out if you yarded the choke out, but which also seemed to disappear
of its own volition at around 1200 rpm. I did absolutely everything to try
and correct it - all the usual steps from carb to timing to NOS distributor
assy and wires - and do you know what it wound up being? Bad intake
manifold gasket-seal on the cylinder furthest from the carburettor!

I couldn't believe it at first either, but one of my associates told me he
had a similar problem with another type of engine, and the gasket/manifold
was the culprit there also. I have no experience whatsoever with JXD's, but
since the theory's sound, it certainly bears investigation before you throw
too much more money at it.

Andy Hill
MVPA 9211
Vancouver, B.C.