Re: [MV] Towing MUTT

From: chance wolf (timberwolf@wheeldog.net)
Date: Sat Mar 03 2001 - 10:14:58 PST

----- Original Message -----
From: <Anith@wfp.org>
Sent: Saturday, March 03, 2001 8:19 AM
Subject: [MV] Towing MUTT

> This time, to avoid slowing down an evacuation convoy, I would like to get
> my MUTT towed by one of the cars with a rigid tow shaft and not tow
> ropes/cables. Is it advisable to disconnect the front shaft of the MUTT
> that connects the gearbox to the differentials before getting towed? (I
> only hope I will have enough time to get it disconnected!) Or is it ok to
> go ahead and get towed with the transmission in neutral but with the front
> differential still connected?

*Don't* take the driveshafts out of the 151 unless you have devised some way
of making sure the bits left sticking out of the transfer case don't fall
out on the roadway. Nothing holds them in except the presence of the
driveshaft, which, unfortunately, I found out the hard way once after doing
an 'emergency repair' by dropping the rear shaft and driving home on the
front one. One transmission later, and I'm a bit wiser (cog fell off,
hypoid leaked out - bank account leaked out too.)

The film company I work for flat-tows them short distances without any
unpleasant side-effects (some have a tendency to track improperly on
corners - something easily solved with a handy bungee-cord and a few
well-chosen swear words), but I believe the manual sets a limit on just how
far you can do that before having to go to a two-wheeled dolly arrangment or
something that gets at least two of the wheels off of the ground. I don't
have it handy or I'd have a look.

Andy Hill
MVPA 9211
Vancouver, B.C.