Japanese Kettenkrad

From: Jim Rice (majrice@hotmail.com)
Date: Sat Mar 03 2001 - 19:30:48 PST

Hi Gang,

Was talking to a MV friend of mine recently and he reminded me of a visit to
a "junkyard museum" a couple of years ago in search of parts for my
International 1.5 Ton. During that visit, the owner showed us what appeared
to be a Japanese Kettenkrad type vehicle. It differed in that the driver
had a seat outside of the "box" portion of the body, but it was a single
front motorcycle wheel/handlebar front end with tracks in the back. It was
really boxy. If I recall correctly, the engine was of the motorcycle type
and locate beneath the driver like a conventional motorcycle.

The owner related a story of how it came from Japan to the US. The previous
owner was a US Navy Commander and somehow got the vehicle loaded on a ship
bound for the US and then home. It then sat in his garage for 40 years
until the current owner bought it. I have no idea of whether this is true
or not and no way to verfiy it.

At any rate, has anyone ever heard of such a vehicle. I do recall him
showing a dataplate that had what appeared to be a wartime date.

Thanks,

Jim Rice