Re: [MV] IR Spotlight for Bradley Fighting Vehicle

From: Ron (rojoha@mediaone.net)
Date: Mon Mar 05 2001 - 06:39:33 PST

    It's interesting that an official entity of the US government has to go
to a mail list to get info that is available directly from their manuals and
online through ETM online. If he is who he says he is, he wouldn't be asking
us. He'd have an account with the various Army commands with the required
passwords, which we don't. An accident in a FOR REAL Army vehicle caused by
an aftermarket (Russian/PEP Boys) IR floodlight being installed on a vehicle
at the request of the unit commander is a mind boggler, not to mention a
career ender.
    Current GEN III night vision equipment does not require a supplemental
light to drive with and was designed so additional IR was not required.
Imagine getting used to driving with an IR source and then deploying without
it. Might as well drive with Service Drive on, cause the bad guys have NVG
also, and that's what a IR flood would look like coming at them. I'd hate to
think how much we have spent on Bradley development and night vision
equipment, only to have the line troops go to PEP Boys and Willy Bob on the
corner for advice. No wonder PS went to comic book format. Maybe they could
get BARNEY to replace Sgt. Halfmast and Connie, to appeal to the new
upcoming troop. There has to be somebody at his unit who knows how to read a
manual. Tell him to look on the Brad's data plate. Then call Portrayal.
    Do this guy a favor and tell him to contact his Motorpool, or Logistics
Head and get them on it, or at least pointed towards the phone , where he
can call next higher support. If that fails, have him call the Russian
Embassy and ask for Ivan, the Blue/White/Orange Army liaison. I bet he could
give him the right part number, or sell him a low time Russian replacement
item for cash.
    Train like you'll fight. Geeeessssshhhh! Maybe they should change it to
Surrender before you get hurt!

    And another thought comes to mind. Can you spell "STING". Just cause
your paranoid, don't mean THEY aren't out to get YOU.

        Regards, Ron