Re: [MV] IR Spotlight for Bradley Fighting Vehicle

From: Mel Miller (nourmahal@worldnet.att.net)
Date: Mon Mar 05 2001 - 07:01:45 PST

Ron wrote:

> It's interesting that an official entity of the US government has to go
> to a mail list to get info that is available directly from their manuals and
> online through ETM online. If he is who he says he is, he wouldn't be asking
> us. He'd have an account with the various Army commands with the required
> passwords, which we don't. An accident in a FOR REAL Army vehicle caused by
> an aftermarket (Russian/PEP Boys) IR floodlight being installed on a vehicle
> at the request of the unit commander is a mind boggler, not to mention a
> career ender.

Howdy Ron,

I quite agree with you and perhaps the Corporal is scamming me. As I
said originally, I do not know him and did not call up 2-14IN at Ft.
Drum to verify his status. Having been in the military a few years ago,
I could easily imagine a frustrated scout Corporal put on light duty and
hauled up to the S3 where he was out of his depth and told to "Find
Something" without really proper guidance. He then flounders around a
bit and starts looking for info wherever he can.

In earlier emails to him (prior to posting his plea to the list) I had
suggested that he go to his motor pool to get the info and he said that
they had the CD's but needed the NSN to find the part and could not do a
"reverse search" by diagram etc. I do not know if this is true or not as
I have never used these CD's.

Personally, I would not drive around with an auxiliary IR light source
on unless I knew that my quarry did not have night vision capability! It
would make a dandy aiming point.

Regards,
Ml Miller
2 X M725