Re: [MV] rough starting M151A2

From: James Shanks (n1vbn@bit-net.com)
Date: Thu Mar 08 2001 - 12:31:51 PST

Bruce,

    First thing I'd look at would be the ends of all battery cables and
verify with a wrench they are tight. Next use the ole Mark One Eyeball and
carefully look over the entire battery cables from end to end looking for
visible sign of green ,not the type you want....this green is caused by
corrosion. If possible feel with you fingers or a pair of channel locks
every inch of cable that is covered with insulation, what your looking for
via the feel in your fingers is when you apply pressure with the jaws to the
outside of the cable is a gap hidden from view where corrosion has eaten
away at the copper under the insulation. A short cut to find out if this is
your problem is use a set of jumper cables <civilian ones IE: heavy duty
ones> and apply the positive clamp to the positive 24V post and the other
end to the starter terminal where the battery cable attaches. If when you
step on the starter it starts like when slaved to your other truck you know
you need a new positive battery cable. If no joy remove clamp from starter
post and apply other end to negative post and apply other end to engine
block which reminds me.
Look around the engine and you should find a ground cable/strap that grounds
the engine block to the frame, this where you have all the engine vibration
and movement quite often loosens up or pulls one end out of the attachment
point and will give you the slow grind due to lack of a return <electrical>
path. Best of luck and kindly let us know what you find Please?

James Shanks
n1vbn@bit-net.com

1998 IMZ 8.103
M35A2 (dreaming of someday SIGH!!!)