M447C

From: C C (n2rdp@hotmail.com)
Date: Thu Mar 08 2001 - 20:44:17 PST

OK, I have 2 M52A2's (1 running and the other not running) and 1 M447C Expansible Shop Van Semitrailer.

The M447C, has a Death Valley grade A/C unit. To be specific, 3 ton or 36,000BTU for a 14' x 20' (expanded) space. That's serious over-kill. According to the TM that was in the M447C when I got it, there were only 50 M447C's made with this A/C unit.

A couple of odd things about this van is that the expansible sides are not the slide-out type, but folding and there is no side door. Another thing odd is the last-four digits of the NSN (2330-00-472-9999) are 9999. This suggests that this too makes it an oddity.

There are three data plates on the trailer that have different three "M" designations. One is obviously just the chassis, but there are two that refer to the van. The people at the DRMO said that M447C refered to the contents rather than the van itself and I can accept that. The only accessories left are the load banks (for testing generators), hydraulic actuator test stand and a 250watt audio amp. Everything else that wasn't bolted down was removed.

Anyway, the interior is in mint condition. I don't think that I'm going to restore it as shop van, but make a non-destructive conversion to a camper. That way, I can change it back if I ever want to restore it as shop van.

Using it as a camper will come in handy on trips to out-of-town events and even if the MVPA ever has a convention in Death Valley.

Chris