Re: [MV] M-274 magnesium

From: Duane Burris (dburris@paloverde.com)
Date: Tue Mar 13 2001 - 21:14:28 PST

Although I'm certified to weld most everything else, I haven't welded magnesium.
The information I'm providing comes from Modern Welding Technology fourth
edition.

I'm not familiar enough with the M-274, but assume that the bed is not pure
magnesium, but an alloy. TIG and MIG can both be used to weld magnesium alloys,
TIG for thinner materials. For MIG, the material welds much like aluminum
alloys, with pure argon the most common shielding gas, although argon-helium
mixtures can be used. Rod selection depends on the composition of the base metal
alloy.

The most common sheet and plate alloys are AZ31B and HK31A. AZ31B is 3.0%
aluminum, 0.45% Manganese, 1.0% Zinc, with the rest Magnesium - the recommended
filler rod to be of AZ61A or AZ92A. HK31A is 0.7% Zirconium, 3.0% Thorium, the
balance Magnesium - recommended filler rod to be EZ33A. Sorry, don't know brand
names for these rods.

Not too sure the thickness of the bed material, but for GMAW of 1/4" the
procedure calls for V-groove and fillet with .063 rod, 240-290 Amps, 24-30
volts, wire speed 550-660, gas flow 50-80, 2 passes at 24-36 in/min.

Be glad to send recommendations for other thicknesses. I can try to get the rod
brand names for you.