Re: [MV] M-274 magnesium

From: Emmett Thompson (kt4al@worldnet.att.net)
Date: Wed Mar 14 2001 - 14:53:45 PST

I am AMAZED!
I would really like to thank all of you for putting up with my questions and
REALLY like to thank all that responded.
1) I won a bet on the welding question
2) I know more now that when I started
3) I have several options
4) I think I have decided what to do

I took the bed off the Mule today instead of painting the M-416 tub and
instead of doing the yard chores ( bad boy). I am using an aircraft grade
stripper and it is doing a good job on all the coats of paint. I will take
EVERYTHING apart and clean, inspect, and replace anything questionable.
This leads me to 2 new questions.

The original paint color is the standard looking "marine forest green semi
gloss" but the next coat is a weird looking blue green color and has US ARMY
##### in white. What color is that blue greenish color and in what era was
it used? I am thinking or restoring it to that color because it is so
different.

The second question is ..... there are strips of an unknown metal between
the deck and frame, I assume to prevent electrolysis between the common
steel and the magnesium. What metal is it?

I have had to clean up because I have to go into work early and still have
several things to do but I have got so wound up in this thing time has
passed me by.

Thanks again for all the GREAT info and the trouble for looking this info
up. I will not get anything welded most of you have scared me half to death
on that. I do plan on using the JB weld approach and will let you know how
that turns out

I guess I am now an official MULE SKINNER but without the blues

Regards
Emmett