Dusters

From: Rob Roche (powerwagon@ispchannel.com)
Date: Wed Mar 14 2001 - 17:45:47 PST

Hi List

Got some questions about M-42(?) Dusters. Our museum has
finally gotten permision to move this critter from it's
secure area to our storage lot, about 3 miles. It hasn't
run in Lord knows how many years. Might the engine still
run with a bit of tinkering (okay, I'm chasing rainbows
here but it's worth a try!) or can she be safely towed
without damageing the drive train. I could only get one
engine hatch open (no tools to unbolt the others). The
engine apears to be a diesle with an Allison trans
(automatic?). There are no big oil stains underneath (so
she still has all her fluids or she's empty!)The Batterys
are clean, not all corroded and there doesn't look like any
parts are missing. I haven't been able to get inside the
drivers compartment because the hatch is padlocked (I
didn't have permission to use the "master key") The guns
are still there M2A1 1953 on the data plate)but the flash
supressors are gone.

If this beast looks like it'll crank, how does one go about
starting it. Warm up the glow plugs? Prime the injectors?
We obviously don't have a T.O so any thoughts or
sugjestions are welcome.

BTW this tank was never a range target so it's undamaged!

Thanks in advance

Rob