Re: [MV] trailer laws - now MV Movers discussion

From: Glenn Shaw (dogstar918@mediaone.net)
Date: Thu Mar 15 2001 - 15:03:48 PST

Hi Dave;

Comments within your post:

----- Original Message -----
From: DaveCole <davidcole@tk7.net>
Sent: Thursday, March 15, 2001 6:08 PM
Subject: [MV] trailer laws - now MV Movers discussion

> Tim and other Mil Veh folks:
>
> 1. To maintain non-commercial status and not require a CDL (at least in
Indiana)
> you can't haul other people's stuff for pay and you have to declare your
rig a
> farm truck. OK, so say I only haul my half-track or whatever and and
want to
> maintain my non-CDL/non commercial status.

You may be able to say you are non-commercial, and you may be able to beat a
lot of the fees by saying you are a farm truck(which of course requires a
farm) but I really think you are going to risk having big problems without
having a CDL. This will be especially true if you travel into other states
or on the National Defense Interstate Highway System. It is not that hard
to get a CDL license and you will have some piece of mind.

> a 80's Freightliner with a nice 40 ft flatbed would move MVs very nicely.
>
> I have seen (one is in the local trade rag today) semi rigs converted to
> campers. The one I just saw was a full blown tandem axle tractor, with a
40 box
> trailer. The front 24 feet of the box trailer was converted to liveable
> quarters and the rest was left to move whatever (empy box). The tractor
itself
> was left as is and the owner says it is registered as an RV.

If it is manufactured as a tractor, and/or has a fifth wheel you need a
Class A CDL.

> 3. Would there be any benefit on trying to obtain a single axle tractor
instead
> of a tandem axle unit regarding making it an RV, getting by with no CDL,
etc.
> Remember in most of the US, RV's don't require CDLs at all.

This would probably never fly with any P O as an RV. Single or twin screw
axles doesnt matter. A tractor is a tractor. About the only things you can
benifit from by being non-commercial is exemption from certain DOT regs
which pertain to commercial truckers. But you still must be qualified to
drive what you are using even if it is just for your own personal use.
There are a lot of people runnig around under misconceptions. You would not
want to find out the hard way after an accident or after being stopped for
some reason. Get the CDL if the truck needs it.

> I just want to avoid the pitfalls before I get pulled over and cited!
> Dave

 This is true.

Glenn
MVPA