Re: [MV] Zetmeyer book

From: chance wolf (timberwolf@wheeldog.net)
Date: Thu Mar 15 2001 - 21:50:10 PST

----- Original Message -----
From: "Walter Houghton" <FlyN3Nvt@worldnet.att.net>
Sent: Thursday, March 15, 2001 8:20 AM
Subject: Re: [MV] Zetmeyer book

> I got a copy of it here somewhere, been looking for the last 2 days while
> cleaning..................when I find it, I will post another note.
> Jeff

On the topic of Mr. Zentmyer, I was at the MVPA convention a couple of years
ago in California, and was talking to a few fellow British Columbians next
to a pile of parts that used to be someone's M37. Several of us are current
owners of the beasts, and the conversation soon turned to the long axle that
this fellow was trying to sell, and the trials and tribulations many of us
appear to have suffered in dealing with them and replacement of same.

So, I trot out my story of pushing an Allied Van Lines moving truck out of a
ditch with my M37 the first week I bought the thing (showing off), and paid
for it the next day by breaking the long axle. I mentioned to my
compatriots that I found out the hard way that the U.S. replacement axles
are about 1/8" too long for the Canadian trucks, and though they look like
they tighten down sufficiently, you wind up with ever-present hypoid
'spokes' across your wheel as the axle never seats up against the hub. I
mentioned that I read something in a book about the subject - "John
Zentmyer's, I think...". Heh. Out of all the attendees at this
convention - out of all possible areas they could've entertained
themselves - who should be walking by at the exact instant his name was
mentioned but Mr. Zentmeyer himself!

Andy Hill
MVPA 9211
Vancouver, B.C.
(and even odder - the first thing he said on the subject was, "Did I put
that in there?")