Re:[MV] brake fluid question

From: MVTrucker@aol.com
Date: Fri Mar 16 2001 - 03:05:24 PST

List,
I encountered some neat problems with brakes on M35A2 trucks:
When I applied the brakes, with air up, brake fluid streamed out
of the vent on the engine compartment firewall due to a malfunctioning
air-pac. When the vent line is still connected to the air filter, the
problem was harder to detect, as happened in another instance.
When we brought a truck in, via tow truck, that didn't have brakes
(the brake pedal was all the way down), I figured the master cylinder
was shot. When we started to unscrew the master cylinder cap to
check the fluid, the pedal popped back up. Problem was that the
vent line on the cap had been disconnected and an axle vent was
installed in the cap. The vent, being a check valve, created a vacuum
in the reservoir that would prevent the piston from returning after the
brakes were applied a couple of times. After replacing the vent with
the correct ell and reconnecting the vent line, all was well.
Joe "MV Trucker" Young
www.joeyoung.com