Re: [MV] Silicone Brake Fluid / Synthetic Oil

From: jonathon (jemery@execpc.com)
Date: Sat Mar 17 2001 - 20:38:39 PST

>Junk, Crap, DANGEROUS!

> If silicone brake fluid causes low pedal, no pedal, leaks, etc., why
>would anyone on Earth
>want to use it? Brakes HAVE TO BE RELIABLE! Corrosion to parts is
>secondary!!!

> Silicone brake fluid not only doesn't allow the
>rubber cups or seals to expand the correct amount, it will leak right
>out of formerly leak free
>combination valves. master cylinders,etc.

> I can't think of a use for silicone brake fluid.
>Just use regular brake fluid and bleed the system once in awhile.

Are we not generalising a bit much here? I use silicone on several, but
not all, of my fleet. I can point to a CJ2 that had silicone brake fluid
put in over 20 years ago. The brakes have never failed and continue to work
to this day. A pickup of mine had silicone brake fluid put in almost 20
years ago. It now has almost 300k miles and never once a failure of the
brake system and never have I done any more that change out shoes and pads

There are few absolutes (there are some just not that many) in life. What
works great for one person may be a disaster for another. Just know wether
your the one person or the other and you'll do fine.

> Don't EVEN get me started on stainless steel
>brake lines or "quickie" one wire alternator
>conversions.

Add to the list Duralube and Slick 50 and we could have a grand time here!

je