Re: [MV] Minor problems and leaks, M35A2.

From: DDoyle9570@aol.com
Date: Sun Mar 18 2001 - 16:34:36 PST

In a message dated 3/17/01 2:26:58 PM Central Standard Time, rkltd@swbell.net
writes:

RIKK,
THESE ARE MY OPINIONS, FOR ACTUAL ADVICE CONSULT AN ACTUAL MECHANIC!!!!!
<< 1. At the top of the oil filter can, I fixed it on the short run with
 Permatex, but I thing I need a new copper ring, need to do the 1st oil
 change this is a good time.
 Am I correct?
YES

 2. Where the heads meet the block, this could be a little spot or two that
 follows the grove and just looks like the whole seam is leaking. I have no
 noticeable oil loss or any other problems. How bad of problem do I have?....
 retorque the head bolts?
THIS MAY HELP, BUT THE VAST MAJORITY OF THE LDT's I'VE SEEN HAVE THIS "DIRTY"
LINE, ALL MINE DO, INCLUDING ONE WITH LESS THAN 1000 ORIGINAL, UNREBUILT
MILES, WITH THE SOLE EXCEPTION OF ONE THAT WAS A GOVT REBUILD A FEW MONTHS
BEFORE I GOT IT. I USED TO CARE, NOW, THE TRUCKS RUN, DON'T USE OIL, DON'T
KNOCK, SO I DON'T CARE.

 3. Rear Axle where the drive shaft bolt up comes out of the top box on the
 back, edges of the cover is oil stained, was clean.
 Any way to stop this seep?.... oil level in the read end is fine.
CHECK AXLE VENT, MAKE SURE NOT STOPPED UP.

 4. How much ?? blowout should you see from the valve cover vent? I thought
 I had a major leak on the front top gear box (oil on the passenger side,
 generally all over from the spring to the gear box) when I crawled under to
 look, ( was on the 5min idle down) I found most of the oil from the valve
 cover vent, (as much as from a very slow drip leak).
 GOOD FRIEND OF MINE RINGED ENGINE BECAUSE OF THIS, STOPPED BLOWBY. MY
TRUCKS THAT HAVE WHAT I CONSIDER MINOR BLOWBY RUN JUST AS GOOD AS THE ONES
THAT DON'T, SO THIS TOO FOR ME FALLS INTO THE "IF IT AIN'T BROKE, DON'T FIX
IT CATEGORY."

KEEP IN MIND ALL MY TRUCKS ARE NOW JUST TOYS, THEY RUN 500-1000 MILES PER
TRUCK PER YEAR, MOSTLY ON HIGHWAY, MOSTLY EMPTY. ANNUAL OIL CONSUMPTION/LOSS
FOR 5 DEUCES AND A 5 TON IS LESS THAN 4 GALLONS, WITH HALF OF THAT GOING INTO
THE R6602 IN THE 5 TON.

 Also, if I power wash the engine, will I create problems? (I have on small
 cars). >>

BEWARE OF THE RADIATOR, THE HEATER DUCTWORK OF SO EQUIPPED, AND DRY ROTTED
WIRING HARNESS. IF YOU HAVE A TRULY HIGH PRESSURE WASHER, YOU MIGHT ALSO USE
CAUTION AROUND THE FUEL RETURN LINES FROM THE INJECTORS, ETC. A FRIEND
SUGGESTED TO ME THAT I NOT WASH ENGINES WHILE WARM, AS THE SUDDEN COLD WATER
ON THE DISSIMILAR METALS OF THE INJECTION PUMP (ALUMINUM) AND THE ENGINE
COULD CAUSE UNEVEN CONTRACTION, AND THUS DISTORTION.

MY .02,
David Doyle