Re: [MV] M35A2 Multifuel Turbo Oil Change Questions

From: mblair1@home.net
Date: Sun Mar 18 2001 - 17:18:05 PST

JeepBoy350@aol.com wrote:
> Its time to change the oil on my deuce. [...] Can somebody give me a
> quick overview of the procedure. I have the military oil change kit
> that comes with two large filters with Gaskets and other goodies and
> an additional smaller filter. I know where the big filters go on the
> Left side of the engine, but not sure about the small one... also
> what are the steps, I've heard people mentioning a specific order in
> opening the large cannisters (front and rear) to avoid getting oil
> all over the place.

The only hard part about changing oil in a deuce is carrying around
all of those gallons of oil... if you do it right! Asking for advice
before trying it for the first time was a wise move. :-)

If I remember right, I stuck a 5 gallon bucket under each of the two
drain plugs, and then opened the rear one first. Even if it takes you
a while to walk around to the front of the truck and get the other
drain plug off, I think the front sump will hold at least a half
gallon of oil, so the rear bucket shouldn't overflow (the total fill
capacity is 5.5 gallons, including oil filter volume).

You'll want to make sure those oil filter cans are empty before you
take them off to avoid a big mess. Just letting the truck sit
overnight after draining the sump should let them drain out. Many
trucks will have a drain cock in place of a hole plug on the oil
cooler. It's there to make it easier to sample a bit of oil for
analysis. If your truck has that drain cock, you can temporarily
attach a piece of hose to it, and use it to drain out the filter cans
without waiting overnight. If your truck doesn't, it might be worth
the effort to add one while the oil is drained out, to save some
effort later on.

Opinions about what kind of oil should be used vary, and cause a lot
of heated debate. Personally, I use plain SAE 30 oil, because my
lubrication orders (both the printed one and the one I downloaded from
ETMs Online) list that as the appropriate grade to use in my climate
all year round (it never gets very cold or hot here), and neither one
lists any multi-grade oils. Plus, a friend of mine who buys his oil 50
gallons at a time for his airplane learned many years back from an oil
company representative that (at least at the time) single-grade oils
had better wearing qualities than multi-grade oils, whose main claim
to fame is letting you avoid seasonal oil changes in colder climates.
Obviously, I can't substantiate this or back it up with any real
technical information, but I figure that my best bet is to stick with
what the lube order says, and not try to second-guess the folks who
designed my engine. Some folks have said that the military authorized
15W40 for use in deuces, but I haven't personally seen any
publications that say that, so I'm still sticking with SAE 30.
Whatever you use, make sure it's rated for use in diesel engines. I
use Shell Rotella-T SAE 30 oil in my truck, which comes in convenient
1-gallon bottles. I found it at a Kragen auto store. My local Pep Boys
used to carry it, but now they only carry Rotella in 15W40. Just don't
buy it at a Shell station... gas stations seem to mark up their own
oil products about 100-300% compared to prices you'll find elsewhere!

I hope this helps!

--
PGP 2.6.2 public key available from http://www.keyserver.net/
Web page: http://www.qsl.net/ke6myk/